Immigration law is a complex and ever-changing practice. These are just a few of the most frequently asked questions that are heard on a regular basis. Keep in mind that these are very general questions and answers, each situation is going to be unique. This is not intended to be used as legal advice, for more information please contact Mrs. James to review your personal situation in more detail.

Q. What types of visas can be obtained for a visit or temporary stay in the U.S.?

A. In order to visit the United States temporarily or be granted entry for a specific period of time, a non-immigrant visa will be necessary. Some of these that are common are student visas, business investor visas, or travel visas.

Q. What type of visa is necessary to become a permanent resident of the U.S.?

A. There are a a number of different visas that are available, depending on your current immigration status. If you are engaged to a U.S. citizen and are a foreign national, there is a fiancée visa. There are also family visas if you have relatives that are U.S. citizens, and there are also work visas provided you have a special set of skills that make your employment in the U.S. a necessity. There are also other visas that can be obtained under different circumstances.

Q. What length of time will my green card be valid?

A. Obtaining a green card allows for permanent residency for foreign nationals to live/work in the U.S. Green cards are issued initially for two years, however they can become permanent following two years if there has been no criminal activity and the green card has been maintained properly. When a permanent green card is obtained, they are valid for ten years.

Q. What happens if my visa expired?

A. If you have an expired visa, you need to contact Mrs. James as quickly as possible. She will be able to sit down with you and review your situation as well as your current status in the U.S. She will help you decide what the next steps should be. Don't wait - time is vital when your visa has expired.

Q. What should be done if a deportation notice has been received? Is there anything that can be done to avoid being deported?

A. If you or someone you love has received a deportation notice or order, the very first thing that needs to be done is to contact Mrs. James. She is a knowledgeable, experienced immigration attorney who can review your situation fully and work with you to build a defense against being deported. It is essential to work with a skilled attorney who has dealt with these types of situations before. Mrs. James is committed to your case and will work to represent you aggressively and honestly.

Contact James Immigration Law, P.A.